15 fun facts about Detroit Lions
The NFL season will begin soon. All of the fans could not be more excited. Especially Detroit Lions fans. The Detroit Lions had a decent season last year and they are looking forward to being better this season. Detroit Lions games live stream can be available and also they will be aired on cable television as well. If you do not know very much about the Lions, we have some fun facts for you.
Here are 15 fun facts about the Detroit Lions
- The Detroit Lions colors are Honolulu blue, silver, black, and white.
- Their fight song is Gridiron heroes. It is by Theo Gridiron Spight.
- The Detroit Lions’ mascot is Roary, the lion.
- The Detroit Lions have never played in the Superbowl. In 1991, they were very close to playing in a title game.
- The Lions forced Barry Sanders into retirement early. Sanders played for the Lions his entire career and never got a chance to play for a Superbowl ring.
- They were originally called the Portsmouth Spartans and were in Ohio. They joined the NFL and had to relocate and change the name.
- In 1935, Detroit won an NFL Championship.
- In 1970, Motown star, Marvin Gaye, tried out for the team.
- In 1934, then Lions played in their first Thanksgiving game. They played the Chicago Bears.
- In 1988, fifth-round draft pick, Eric Andolesk was killed in 1991 after a semi-truck ran off the highway and struck while in his yard.
- In 1994, Toby Caston was killed in an automobile accident, thus continuing the Curse of the Detroit Lions.
- 17th round draft pick, Reggie Brown, suffered a spinal cord contusion when making a tackle, ending his career.
- In 2006, the Lions won 3 games.
- Chuck Hughes, wide receiver suffered a heart attack on the field in 1971, he died less than two hours later.
- They have awesome uniforms.